Homework Assignment #6 – invictus/leadership challenges
(1)
I
was very impressed seeing Nelson Mandela having such a strong value of
forgiving. After the 28 years he has been locked up in prison, he still had the
courage to forgive the withes and get elected as the president to unite all the
people. His way I really liked, was that he gave people the pros and conns of
their purpose and didn’t make the decision for them. Also how he treated the
other people, although he was in a higher position then them, was not different.
Francois Pienaar also learns from Nelson Mandela and brings his team
forward. Even though they were losing, he never lost hope, he still motivated
and believed in his team and encouraged them to practice and practice.
Because of their engagement, they won the Rugby World Cup and the withes
and blacks got united, exactly what Mandelas goal was.
(2) Every
Tuesday I teach a gymnastic group with girls ages 5-9. It is a personal
experience of mine acting in a leadership role. Teaching this class was a big
commitment for me because being the children’s teacher asks a lot of me. I felt
like being their role model, organizing, directing and always being there for
them would be hard to accomplish that well. But my mind changed after I started
teaching the girls; I really enjoy giving the children classes, though I also
encounter challenges in my leadership.
For example
I had a student, whose parents were very ambitious. They wanted their daughter
to become a professional gymnastic, so they told me to let her do all the
advanced exercises even if they were out of her comfort zone, because she
should just try everything out. I didn’t think too much about it and agreed to
bring their daughter to a high level. However when I met the girl and she was
joining my class, she told me how she didn’t like gymnastics and how she was
scared of doing the exercises. She asked me if I could just tell her parents
that she was doing really well. But I didn’t know what to do, because her
parents didn’t want to understand, that gymnastics was not their daughters
enjoyment. I felt bad having to lie to the parents but also going against their
daughter. But I had to stick with the right decision and that was having a talk
all together and finding a new sport that she would enjoy. I felt much better
afterwards and the daughter was also very relieved and happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment