Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Growth in Leading: What I learned from Ethical Leadership

Ethics has always been a fascinating subject for me to study for many reasons. First and foremost, my ideas about ethics differ from most girls and women. I am a high Mach, a North, in essence, a powerhouse. I am not embarrassed of my ambitions, even though they may seem impossible for now. I work hard in school, and often become a natural leader when placed in groups, and often I get backlash for taking charge as a woman. Ethics fascinates me because each person will have their own perspective on how to be an ethical leader or citizen and the similarities and differences in these actions is what creates the world we live in.

Having read Machiavelli in school, I have developed a deeper appreciation. I now realize the time he lived in has an enormous impact on all the concepts he has in The Prince, and as such I would agree with the advice he gave the Medicis. I think one of the most influential moments for me during the course of this class was when we identified leaders based on their strengths in one of the Seven C’s of Social Change. It was a really fun activity, being a history buff and all, but even more so when I came to notice that each of the seven C’s on their own were not enough to make a good leader. A truly great leader encompasses as many if not all of the C’s in his/her career. This makes for the most well rounded leader: one who keeps goals in mind but still knows what needs to be done, someone directive but willing to work with others, one who knows when to act, speak, or step back. I will apply this to my leadership in the future by understanding that I need to be a well rounded person and not have too much excess in any one section: commitment, congruence, etc. These overambitious qualities could cause me to be much too overbearing and will not help me in my pursuit of leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment