Monday, July 22, 2013

Ethical Leader: Holds Everyone Accountable

One the qualities I think that is important to maintain as a leader is an un bias disposition. This could also be one of the hardest since many people in positions of power our inclined to favor their friends of people they identify with. One person that I could think of that exemplifies this quality beautifully was my basketball coach. For the first time ever the girls basketball team at my school had made it to the finals.This wouldn't happened if it wasn't for three girls on our team who were are best players. There was no doubt that with out them we could have made it as far as we did. My coach established early on that weeks that she wanted us to come practice Monday thru Friday for two hours, if didn't compile with her rules we wouldn't play at the final. Everyone except our three best player followed her rules. Instead I would see them go get frozen yogurt or take the bus home instead of coming to practice. In fact this wasn't the first time the three them would skip practice, they did it consistently throughout the season but my coach always let it slide since she wasn't as strict about practice then. It still bothered me greatly that the rest of team had to practice for two hours while they went shopping instead. When asked one of them why they kept on skipping practice, she answered that they didn't need to come to practice because they already knew the stuff we practiced. It was true that the skill set of our three best player differed greatly from the skills the rest of team had. While they could easily put up layups and make jump shoots, some of the girls on the team still struggled to dribble the ball properly. I realized she had a point there put I still didn't think it was fair, I hoped that my coach in the end would make the right decision. When it came time for the final my coach announced that our three best players wouldn't start due to the fact that they deliberately broke her rules and didn't show up for practice like the rest of us. My coach allowed the girls who followed the rules to start, and benched the ones who didn't. I think this shows great leadership on my coaches part because she didn't let favoritism cloud her judgement. Coaches I have had in the past would have let an incident like this go especially if the best players on the team were doing it. My coach held everyone accountable for their actions no matter who it was. The ideal leader in my mind wouldn't care if the person they seek justice against was the star quarterback at their high school or a popular celebrity, the only thing that would matter to them was justice.

-Alexis Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment