Monday, July 29, 2013

Assignment 6: Invictus leadership & Personal Leadership Dilemmas


1. Nelson Mandela and Francois Pienaar emulated the leadership qualities that an effective and ethical leader embodies. Amid a post-apartheid South Africa in the 90’s where violent crime was on the rise and the economy remained unstable, Nelson Mandela decided to tackle the left over resentment that had left the blacks and whites bitterly separated, through a rather distinct approach. Rugby. He saw the upcoming Rugby World Cup as an opportunity to unite his country, realizing that he had to first “know [his] enemy before [he] could prevail”, which lead him to seek a passion that both groups shared. Mandela ultimately prevailed as a successful leader due to his “leading by example” mantra. Even after being held in prison for 27 years, he demonstrated congruence in his values by searching reconciliation and expressing forgiveness with those that had unjustly discriminated him and his people. Mandela also demonstrated his effectiveness as a leader when faced with an ethical dilemma when the Sports Committee decide to motion for a change in the Springboks’ color, name, and anthem, with the intention to get rid of a team that for them still reminds them of apartheid.  One would think that such a motion would be the wisest option, yet Mandela voices his opposition to such motion, aware that this would only enforce the barrier that separates the blacks and whites. Mandela was championing an unpopular decision, but rather than giving the multitude of people what they desired, he led them toward what he genuinely believed was the ethically righteous path, the path that would eventually embrace unity. Francois, the Springboks’’ captain, also proved to be a competent leader when making a decision that his team was hesitant and unwilling to commit to. Although he made a call that was relatively unpopular, just like Mandela, Francois sought led his team ethically rather than by compliance.

2.
·         I faced an ethical dilemma during Model United Nations elections for officers. I became elected as Vice President, and now it was time to cast our ballots for the new President. However, as an elected official, I could not partake in the voting. Quite coincidentally  the place for President became a tie for the two girls that were running for that position. In order to break the tie, they allowed me to vote for the President. It was obvious to all that I would ultimately decide who would become our next President. The ethical dilemma lied in how I would choose. One of the girls had heavily supported me and helped me get a rather large support group for vice president. However, the other girl, Jasmin, had experience in the club for three years and I honestly favored her as the one who genuinely deserved to win because of her dedication and impressive public speaking capabilities. I took the decision in voting for Jasmin.
·         In 9th grade, our secretary for student council announced that she would not be present for a few of the upcoming events and decided to leave me as her substitute until she would come back. During the time I substituted as the secretary, the other student council officers had decided that they would adopt as the new secretary, officially replacing their current secretary. I decided against it, knowing that the secretary had entrusted me her position for a time, and I did not want to lose my word. When she returned, I stepped down a regular member, returning her the position of secretary.





No comments:

Post a Comment