Thursday, August 1, 2013

Reflective Writing: Ethical Leadership Experience

           I’ve pondered on my own time on ambiguous inquiries, such as what’s considered ethical vs. unethical, and what a leader would do in particular ethical dilemma; yet I never fully sat down and took sufficient time to reflect on it as the assignments in this course provided me with the opportunity to do so. I’ve learned of various new approaches on how some leaders might handle the same scenario. There are those who favor consequentialism, and those who prefer utilitarianism. I’ve also come to realize that one can be both effective and ethical, even though one must learn to be flexible with one’s values/ethics based on circumstances, while being aware of the potential consequences when one’s being ethically flexible.

                 The Dirty Hands leadership style also influenced my leadership view, invoking a more open mind within me. This realization reminded me that although we want leaders to represent an unblemished idol with an impeccable reputation, sometimes the leader must enact on necessary evils if he believes that it ultimately leads to the most genuine and ethically responsible path available. Although I may not find myself with an ethical dilemma to the extent that some of the leaders that we studied faced, I certainly learned key qualities that I will attempt to emulate as both an individual and a leader. While we’ve all heard about the 7 C’s from time to time, the lessons from this course gave them a significant role in leadership by showing how they interact with each other in an interconnected manner, and most importantly, that when combined together, it leads to change. As student leaders searching to create some sort of change in our communities ( whether it be local or global), I believe this course gave us all the vital tools we need to either facilitate or catalyze that change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment