Thursday, August 1, 2013

Reflection on Ethical Leadership

My overall views on ethical leadership didn’t change significantly throughout the course of this class. If anything, it further fortified some of my beliefs of how an ethical leader should behave, such as how leaders may commit morally wrong actions when it is necessary. However, it did change how I looked at matters. After hearing other peers’ opinions on certain topics we had discussed in class, I can now interpret ethical leadership in a few more different perspectives which I have not previously considered. For example, each student has unique personal values, and thus being ethical for me may not apply to another person in the class. Furthermore, it was very interesting to learn about Machiavelli through the readings and class discussions.
As for my position on ethical dilemmas, the reading we did on Vargas’s story as an undocumented citizen totally opened up my eyes on the topic. As an immigrant myself, and having witnessed my parents experienced the stress of the American immigration system first-hand, I used to believe being an illegal immigrant was unacceptable. We had to go through the painstaking process – why shouldn’t they? But now that I’ve learned of the hardships involved with undocumented immigrants, I feel rather ignorant to assume that becoming legal was an easy process.

I think this experience will be very beneficial to me when approaching future leadership opportunities because I will now view my position from different standpoints instead of the one which I usually believe to be ethically correct. However, I believe that the 7Cs of leadership are difficult to apply to everyday topics. I already knew they were important aspects of good leadership, but it’s hard to keep the 7Cs in the back of my head when accomplishing everyday tasks. I doubt I will use them at all in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment