Thursday, August 1, 2013

Ethical Leadership Reflection


My views on ethical leadership have been changed because of the differences of the terms moral and ethical. Before, I believed that to be an ethical leader was to be strictly moral. However, after learning about other ideas such as Machiavelli’s, I realized that there were multiple ways to be what is defined as ethical. However, I still hold true to my first beliefs that there is no concrete way to lead. There will always be conflicting opinions, and there is no definitive answer to what ethical actually means.

I have learned a lot about many Roman leaders in the past, and learning about ethical leadership has given me a new insight to their behaviors. Learning more about what keeps a leader in power was very useful to me in understanding why certain Roman rulers were successful and why others were not. Something that I would have liked to do more of in the class is to actually put into practice what we learned about ethical leadership and see how it actually applies to our everyday lives (maybe do activities in which we assess if events were ethical).
Furthermore, I believe that this class will help me to make ethical decisions in the future. It showed me a realistic standpoint on how hard it is to make decisions, but that it is still possible to be a good leader. I feel less confident in my ability to stay true to my morals than before this class, but that is because of all the different instances that we analyzed. However, I also learned more about making compromises in a way that stays true to my personal ideas as well as touching in on other people’s ideas. All in all, I think that this class opened my perspectives and insights for leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment