My approach to being a leader has been affected by this class because I know now how to make a decision about an ethical dilemma. A leader must assess risk and use caution, and in the end, make a decision which works best for the common good. I also learned how a leader must step up and step back. A leader should not only be passionate about their opinions and motivate others; a leader must also listen to and guide others to action from behind. This concept is important for a leader to maintain their authority without being too controlling.
Class blog for Ethical Leadership: Theory in to Practice, a Brown Leadership Institute Course, Summer 2013
Thursday, August 1, 2013
Reflection on Ethical Leadership
I did not think Ethical Leadership was so complex
when I first took the course. I thought Ethical Leadership simply meant acting
with a society’s code of conduct at all times. However, when we looked at “The
Prince” by Machiavelli and “Dirty Hands”, it became clear that a leader cannot always
act ethically. A leader must conduct “necessary evils” if it serves the common
good, but it is better for them to show they have committed a wrong or show
their dirty hands than keep it a secret. After watching “Invictus”, we saw how
Nelson Mandela was determined in uniting whites and blacks, to the point where
he had to forgive his enemies. This class basically taught me that an ethical
leader must have balance between different concepts such as having your own
voice but listening to others, and being determined about a plan but still
compromising along the way. Leading ethically also depends on the
circumstances, which means one cannot always act with morals when they need to
commit “necessary evils” to help their people in the long run. When I first
read “The Prince” last summer, I thought it was cruel for a ruler to commit
evils, but now I see how in a dilemma such as a war, one evil may lead to the betterment
of a community especially if a leader justifies to their people why they had to
take the action.
My approach to being a leader has been affected by this class because I know now how to make a decision about an ethical dilemma. A leader must assess risk and use caution, and in the end, make a decision which works best for the common good. I also learned how a leader must step up and step back. A leader should not only be passionate about their opinions and motivate others; a leader must also listen to and guide others to action from behind. This concept is important for a leader to maintain their authority without being too controlling.
My approach to being a leader has been affected by this class because I know now how to make a decision about an ethical dilemma. A leader must assess risk and use caution, and in the end, make a decision which works best for the common good. I also learned how a leader must step up and step back. A leader should not only be passionate about their opinions and motivate others; a leader must also listen to and guide others to action from behind. This concept is important for a leader to maintain their authority without being too controlling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment