At first I thought that ethics were
simple and clear cut for a leader. Now I realize the significance of ethical
leadership. After reading The Prince by
Machiavelli, I believed that being an ethical leader was nearly impossible. To
add on, I thought that the idea of dirty hands would be morally correct but
destroy any chance of keeping the trust of the people. Then I wondered about
the advantages of being a feared leader than a loved leader. I could not grasp
the concept of doing necessary evils for the good end goal.
After
watching Invictus, I gained more
confidence in making the ethical decision as a leader. Both François and
Mandela had a positive outcome. Even though they were against the majority,
they still understood their goal. They picked the choice that would help them
reach it. It gave me another example of a leader losing favor due to their
decision but then gaining it back along with more trust and respect.
I imagine
that I will try to match up with the leadership demonstrated in Invictus. I want to aim to benefit the
members even if that means I may have to go against the majority. I will apply
the lessons I have learned to help me make decisions as a leader. To
incorporate these new skills, I will resolve the issue by considering which
path would be best for the long term goal rather than the short term goal.
Another
assignment that I found interesting was reading Vargas. I had a preconceived
opinion about the topic but immediately after reading his personal experience,
I changed my mind. The ethics of this issue came into play that I had not
considered before. I got a lot out of the readings because they questioned the
ethics of the situation and think deeper into the problem. I have gained a
better understanding of the meaning of ethics as well as a greater awareness of
the different types of situations from this course.
No comments:
Post a Comment