Thursday, August 1, 2013

Reflections BY MICHAEL BECKER

                When I first entered this course, I believed that being an ethical leader was quite simple. After taking this class, it has come to my attention that being an ethical leader is not just black and white. There are very complicated aspects of leadership that different leaders address. For instance, Machiavelli taught that keeping power was very important, and that certain necessary evils must be performed to please the majority of people. I would not have previously thought that killing off people could be an ethical decision, but after this course, I understand why leaders have to make unpopular decisions. Being a completely ethical leader is not possible, although the best leaders only use necessary evils when they are completely necessary. Also, leaders like Nelson Mandela had the charisma and confidence to push through a virtually unsupported idea and make it a success, as portrayed in the film Invictus.
                In regard to certain ideas I change my opinion on, I cannot currently think of any. But, I am sure that my perspective will be greatly change as I lead in the future. I will know to not hesitate when a necessary evil or unpopular decision must be made, if that is what I believe is best for the cause. Also, I can base my decisions on the teachings and ideals of leaders like Mandela, Dr. King, and Machiavelli. The knowledge I have gained from this class will allow me to not only make the right decisions, but also help me compare my values to the ethical consequences in situations and make the decision I want to make.

                By Michael Becker 

No comments:

Post a Comment