New
Views on Ethical Leadership
My views on ethics have really changed during these two
weeks at Brown. Before taking the ethical
leadership class, I just thought of ethics as "doing the right
thing". I didn't know there were
competing theories on how important being ethical really is, or on what is
considered ethical. By studying
different leadership styles, I believe I
now have a much clearer understanding of what type of leadership I'm draw
to. Though I found studying him
immensely interesting, it didn't take me long to realize that I was
uncomfortable with Machiavelli's theory of necessary evils. That is a type of ethical leadership that I
would not be satisfied with. I was far
more drawn to the leadership style of Nelson Mandela in Invictus. I appreciated his
"lead by example" approach, and his ability to lead from within- to
create a circumstance in which social change can occur, as opposed to forcing
people to change. I was also drawn to
his respect for others, and his genuineness.
I could only hope to live up the standards Mandela set with his
leadership.
I also found the 7 Cs to be helpful, because they allowed
me to more constructively assess what leadership aspects are strengths of mine,
and which ones are weaknesses. It also
showed me how one could utilize those different aspects of leadership in
different situations. A consciousness of
self may be important in a particular situation, and collaboration important in
another. A good leader recognizes which
traits are needed, and applies them.
In future leadership positions, I hope to be capable of
listening to, and considering the opinions of others, while maintaining a
confidence in my own values or convictions.
I also hope to effectively demonstrate the 7 Cs, and to inspire others
to toward social change.
No comments:
Post a Comment