Though it's probably a common answer, the NSEW activity was probably the most eye-opening activity for me. Leadership can come from a lot of places, and the best way to lead is also entirely situational. Just because someone is not it to lead in a certain situation does not mean they are an ineffective leader, in fact far from it. As far as ethics go, it almost seems to me that the case is that sometimes it is ethical to be unethical. The concept of the dirty hands and what a leader actually tells to the public seemed rather dirty at first, but in the end I agreed with the side of necessity, at least in some cases. While it is possible to be ethical in almost all cases, this goal is rather unattainable for the average politician. The reason why many of the greatest leaders are so famous and well-liked is because they managed to rule ethically, and also explains why your average politician is so average (and sometimes unethical).
For the future, I am definitely more aware about being ethical. As important/relevant the dirty hands cases and such are, I doubt they will affect me very much in the future, as I just don't anticipate being in that sort of situation. Rarely is it necessary to act unethically. I have more of an appreciation for the job done by politicians and other leaders, and what makes their positions and decisions so difficult. There is a lot more to read into a situation than just what seems right on the surface.
-Keo
No comments:
Post a Comment